Poulet Curcuma

IMG_1372b

If you’ve ever wondered what the name for turmeric is in French, well it’s curcuma.  I wondered in France when I needed some for a recipe, bought a spice bottle that looked like turmeric, looking it up on the internet when I got home.  Whew!  I was right 🙂

IMG_1319b

I had some enormous chicken thighs in the freezer which I find somewhat better than the enormous, bizarre, fantasy chicken breasts that are everywhere here in the States.

IMG_1330b

I love putting together an impromptu meal when I have interesting, fresh colors.

IMG_1348b

And everything looks good in a tajine 😉

IMG_1358b

Nostalgic for fresh coco beans, I opened two cans of Bush’s cannellini beans, added sauteed onion, tomato, mustard and a little sugar.

IMG_1416b

Back in the day whenever I would read about some Brit eating “beans on toast”, it was difficult to wipe the sneer off of my face.  I guess it depends on the beans 😉

IMG_1398b

1 large leek, sliced

1 large red bell pepper, coarsely cubed

4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

3 tbsp white wine vinegar

1 tbsp red peppercorns

2 bay leaves

Season the chicken with turmeric, piment d’espelette, salt and pepper, heat the oil and butter in a tajine, add the chicken and brown on both sides.  Remove and set aside.

Remove all but 2 tbsp of the fat from the tajine,  add the onion, leek, bell pepper and garlic, then saute until the vegetables are crisp tender.  Stir in the vinegar, peppercorns and bay leaves, sauteing for about a minute.  Gently stir in the chicken thighs to coat with the vinegar mixture, then place the chicken, skin side up, on top of the vegetables.

Place the uncovered tajine in a 400 F oven for 30-35 minutes.

About cookinginsens

An American living in Burgundy, France
This entry was posted in American, Cooking, Food and Wine, Main dishes, Recipes and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Poulet Curcuma

1. memadtwo says:

Sounds great!

2. Nadia says:

Looks delicious and turmeric is incredibly healthy for you. Great against all kinds of inflammation.

3. Mad Dog says:

Those beans are very well traveled. The Spanish discovered them in South America and brought them back to Europe. The Jews fleeing Christian persecution in Spain, took them to France in cholent, which is likely to be the origin of cassoulet. Jews emigrating to North America are also credited with the inspiring the baked bean, again via slow cooked, one pot cholent. Heinz brought the beans back to Europe and specifically the UK, where during WW2 they were classified as an “essential food” as part of the wartime rationing system. The Harlesden factory was bombed at least twice. They are an essential part of a full English breakfast 😉

• Interesting history.

• jmcheney says:

Thanks for that little history of the picaresque bean! When I myself wandered to the UK as a teenager to meet my childhood pen pal & the first morning she ordered beans on toast I just couldn’t do it- so I tried the kippers which were divine!

• Mad Dog says:

Ha ha – there are a lot of people who’d gag on the kippers!
        Personally I’d rather eat a can of beans than a KFC or MacDonalds 🙂

• jmcheney says:

Well, personally speaking, all 3 would be gaggers. I could eat a McDonalds cheeseburger way back when we were both very young, not since. The last KFC I ever ate was in 1972 (& I am from Kentucky after all) & I was nearly killed by salmonella. I’ve seen GIs eat their cans of beans in the foxholes, but so far I’ve never Had to do it. The English Kippers were special! P.S. My English pen pal emailed me that she & her grandson couldn’t wait to try Oreos when they first became available in England & thought they were awful. Duh!

4. Michelle says:

Curcuma. Who knew?

5. Lovely meal, my kind of cooking. In Spanish Turmeric is called curcumina. And tailgating the baked beans conversation….they are one of my guilty secret pleasures ☺

• Hi Chica. That would have been an easy find for you, the words are almost the same in Spanish and French. I was looking for something that at least started with a T 🙂

6. Peter Hobson says:

Looks delicious, thank you for sharing your recipe we will try this one this long holiday.

7. That looks so delicious!

8. Pingback: Honey Mustard Salmon Salad | Splendid Recipes and More