Potage Frigidaire

IMG_5899b

I had 4 small, grumpy looking turnips in the refrigerator and thought it would be best to do something with them today.  How right I was because when I peeled and diced them, they had a sort of woody texture that was not attractive but okay for refrigerator soup.

IMG_5872b

You can make soup with just about any left over meats by boiling to tenderize and extract the meaty juices, then adding vegetables.  I had some leftover chicken with a little sauce from the cassoulet I made the other day.  This is the kind of recycling I’d like to see my children employ because it makes good economic sense, especially when you are just starting out in life.  But oh no, not them because while they would eat this, it just wouldn’t occur to them that they could make a satisfying 2nd meal from the first.  Blameless, I blame it on their father 😀

IMG_5885b

I also had about 4 tablespoons of leftover peas and carrots that I added to the soup at the end.

Potage Frigidaire

Knob of butter

2 leeks, halved vertically and sliced

3-4 cooked, meaty chicken pieces

2 fresh bay leaves

1 sprig thyme

Water

4 small turnips, diced

4 small carrots, diced

Any likely looking leftover cooked vegetables

Salt and pepper

Sweat the leeks in the butter until they are soft, add the chicken pieces, bay leaves, thyme and cover with water, about 2 inches above the ingredients.  Bring to a boil and simmer until the meat begins to separate from the bone.  Remove the chicken pieces, bone and set the meat aside.

Add the turnips and carrots, bring to a boil and simmer for about 15 minutes.   Add the reserved chicken, any leftover vegetables, then season with salt and pepper to taste.

About cookinginsens

An American living in Burgundy, France
This entry was posted in American, Cooking, Food and Wine, Main dishes, Recipes, Soup, Vegetables and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Potage Frigidaire

1. Mad Dog says:

I hope you gave those grumpy turnips a good telling off before you introduced them to the nice chicken 😉

2. it still looks great! 😉

3. chefconnie says:

Grumpy turnips! I love it. I kinda feel like a grumpy turnip today.

4. Beautiful, and very frugal to use ingredients up!

5. Well done for using up the leftovers!! Waste not, want not – I just wish more people would think like that.

• I was talking to a neighbor a few days ago who said that they didn’t eat leftovers! So un-French I thought.

• I know people like that too – they literally tip everything that is left at the end of the meal into the bin – criminal!

• They should at least get a dog! I can’t believe that’s true! I’m a bit of a spendthrift but I don’t throw food away. It is criminal!

• I think there are a lot of people out there who have been scared out of their wits by the food hygiene police. They might not want to be wasteful, but are too afraid to eat the leftovers, in case they get food poisoning. And then it’s also an economical thing, a lot of food is too cheap!

• Whatever happened to “home economics” classes? One can also check the internet for food handling guide lines. A lot of bad food is too cheap and you can get food poisoning the very first time you eat it, not to speak of leftovers!

6. I think turnips are just shy as they don’t get introduced much to the other food in the fridge 😉

7. I’m not a huge fan of leftovers. Don’t know why but I think this is a great soup!

8. Karista says:

Rosemary I love this! I do the same only I call it leftover soup. I like your title much better 🙂

9. Very nice soup my friend. Gotta use those leftovers 👌

10. As you already know, many of today’s favorite dishes were prepared, originally, from leftovers – such a Italian Bread Salad and Chinese Fried Rice! One of my sister-in-laws once told me I could make a good meal ‘out of mud’ because I’m ‘pretty darn good’ at combining leftovers and making a whole other meal. Just as you did with this ‘pottage’. And doesn’t ‘Pottage Frigidaire’ sound so much nicer than ‘A Soup I Made with Leftovers’??!! ; o )

11. Conor Bofin says:

Getting simmered in a saucepan is a good recipe for improving the mood of any vegetable. Lovely title and lovely soup.

12. Perfect I have some chicken in the fridge waiting just for this.. no grumpy turnips though.. c

13. Loved the recipe. So delicious and fabulous.

14. Lily Lau says:

This is totally my kind of food, I need to try it! 🙂

15. Reblogged this on Foodfhonebook and commented: