Star of the County Down

IMG_5291b

This is Jessie, my 2 1/2 month old Irish Terrier.  Why is her name Jessie?  Ask the French. Their naming system for pedigree dogs dictates the first letter of the name of the dog depending on the year.  2014 was “J” and I couldn’t think of an Irish name that I admired that started with J.  I should have asked Conor.  Too late.  Anyway, the name suits her; as in Jessie James : – O  In this picture she has just finished uprooting a container of flowers and chasing the cat.  “Why must I be like that?  Why must I chase the cat?  Nothing but the dog in me.”

IMG_0166b

Seems like I made a good choice with this breed.  Jessie is pretty, intelligent and affectionate.  Too bad the cats don’t think so 😀

Anyway, we’re on our way back to Germany at the end of the week.  Of course the refrigerators and their freezers are bulging.  I’ll just empty everything out into a cooler and cook constantly as we pack out.

IMG_5239b

I’m having a hard time concentrating on cooking with so many things going on.  Our Jade got her report card and her lowest grade was a B.  That’s a really good thing!  The school in Massachusetts seems to have worked a miracle!  Really, we poured over the card to make sure there was no mistake and that her name was on it.  I hope they’re not beating her 😀

IMG_5223b

My goal today was to cook with as little effort as possible.  Accomplished!  I only used one pan for the courgettes and the pork steaks with mustard gravy.   Mwuahahahaha!!

Pork Steak with Mustard Gravy

2 pork steaks

Salt and pepper

3 tbsp butter

1 1/2 courgettes, chaotically cut into cubes

3 shallots, thinly sliced

1 tbsp flour

1 cup water or chicken broth

1 heaping tsp Dijon mustard

1 sprig fresh thyme

Season the pork with salt and pepper, then set aside.

Melt 1 tbsp of the butter into a skillet, add the courgettes and quickly brown.  Remove the courgettes from the skillet and set aside keeping warm.

Add another tbsp of butter to the skillet and cook the pork steaks until just done.  Remove and set aside.

Add the remaining tbsp of butter and cook the shallots until limp, then add the tbsp of flour and continue to cook until the flour and shallots are a golden brown.  Slowly stir in the water or broth until smooth, then add the mustard, thyme sprig and pork steaks.  Cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes.  Serve with the courgettes.

Wine suggestion:  Petit Chablis

About cookinginsens

An American living in Burgundy, France
This entry was posted in American, Cooking, Food and Wine, Main dishes and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Star of the County Down

1. Mad Dog says:

I’ve got pork steak for supper – I might give your recipe a go.
    Jessie looks lovely and great news that Jade is doing well. Don’t show this to your cats or the dog will be in trouble 😉

• That is so cool! That dog needs to be put down.

• Mad Dog says:

Sadly you are right. The cat was amazing though!

• Maybe the owners need to be put down!

• Mad Dog says:

That’s often the problem with bad pets, though not always, sometimes it’s too much inbreeding.

• In any case, the owner is responsible for their pet. We had a Sheltie for a while, our son’s dog, but probably because of inbreeding she was sometimes in pain because of her hips and this made her mean when children tried to play with her. We monitored the problem and had her, humanely put to “sleep” by the veterinarian. As you can imagine, this was difficult for our family. I could only watch your video of that dog savaging that child one time. The little boy will probably always be afraid of dogs. So unfortunate because dogs can be such a companion to a child. Not that he needs one. He’s got that cat 😀

• kathysimmons says:

Good news about Mr P’s recovery. YOUR DOG IS NOT MAD Rose. It’s a normal puppy. When did terriers ever stop chasing 4=footed anything? That’s part of the breed’s original function. A SMALL AMOUNT of light-heartedness and patience for puppies dear, well meaning readerhsip.

2. kathysimmons says:

JOY all around Rose. Esp Jade, with grades that express a child making happy progress. Agaist a heap of challenges no less. Earned and deserved along with that dog who will just contnue making hay in your lives, next stop PA pup!!! GO JESSIE, there are both coons and cats in PA countryside. Hope Mr Parret is there in Sens, back to himself and ready to help empty the freezer. imagine, one of your last moves…hooray
    for this enxt phase of your life.

3. Lovely recipe and great news about Jade but honestly, how could I concentrate on all that when little Jessie was there stealing the show?!

4. Mary Frances says:

A very impressive one pan dish!

5. Very nice… and I’m glad that report card was hers!

6. Hi Jessie! J is difficult for Irish names. Jane and Jilleen are all I can think of, but Jessie suits her much better. I didn’t know about the French naming system. She is adorable. Thanks for sharing a great one pan dish. Emmaxx.

7. Oh good for Jade! 😊. I hope things continue to go well for her.

8. I believe that dog was euthanized, at least that is what the news said. Are you familiar with sharonsantoni (dot) com? She has a dog very similar to yours. His name is Ghetto. He is such a rascal he has earned his own instagram site. He is always into trouble, but everyone loves him.

In California they don’t know what a pork steak is. I asked the butcher and he said he tried to sell them one time, but could not give them away. After thinking about it I bet people tried to cook them like a beef steak, because you know we are always in a hurry. My Dad always browned them and dowsed with barbecue sauce and finished them in the oven. There was no conversation at the table when he made these, well except for some mmmmm….

Love the idea of your version. Pinning.

9. Oh muy gosh! She is so cute! I love her.

10. Looks like one smart pup!

11. Jessie is adorable. Fantastic news about Jade! Sounds like life is good, except perhaps for having to return to Germany! 😉

12. Jessie looks adorable! A long time ago, I had a neighbor who had an Irish Terrier that I used to dogshit. Fun dog and awesome breed.

Glad to hear that Jade’s report card was a good one! They must be beating her, right? 😉